With rings, it’s usually love at first sight, so you may want to place an order quickly, but they’re asking you to choose a ring size. You have no idea what it is. Or maybe you’re out ring shopping for your partner?
Getting the wrong ring size can dampen the proposal moment a bit. So, what do you do? How do you get it right the first time without the need for resizing? We’ll show you how to measure your ring size using simple methods.
How to Measure Your Ring Size in 4 Ways
You can measure your ring size right from home. Here are four simple methods you can try out.
Using a Ring Sizer
Ring sizers are usually made of stainless or plastic. They are both typically inexpensive and readily available. Some jewelry stores may offer to send a free ring sizer before making a purchase, or they may have a downloadable one you can print.
One type of ring sizer is a bunch of rings of different sizes looped together. You will need to try out each ring to see the one that fits best. Once you find it, check for the ring’s size code to find your ring size.
Another type of ring sizer, usually made of plastic, is designed like a belt. You wrap it around the intended ring finger to determine your ring size. Like the other type of sizer, it is graded according to ring size.
You can also download this type of ring sizer from some jewelry websites. It is sometimes called the paper ring sizer. Make sure to print it according to scale to ensure accurate measurement.
💡 Tip: If your ring size is between two numbers, it is always better to go for the larger size.
With a Ring You Own
If you already wear rings and have a ring that fits the intended finger, you can easily use it to measure your ring size. First, you can measure the diameter of the ring and compare it with a ring size chart. Simply measure the inner width of the ring using a ruler or a tape rule.
You can also download a true-to-size ring sizing chart. Place the ring on each size on the printed chart to find the one that fits.
💡 Remember: You should match the inner width of the ring, not the outer width.
Measuring Ring Size with a Tape Measure
This is another method of measuring ring size.
- Tape measure
- Ring size chart
- Place the measuring tape at the base of the intended ring finger.
- Wrap it around the ring finger.
- Gently move it up to the knuckle and down to check if it can pass through.
- Check the measurement at which the tape measure overlaps.
- Compare it with a ring size chart.
How to Measure Ring Size with a String
You can make your ring sizer with a string, dental floss, or even paper. It follows the same principle as the tape measure method.
- String or dental floss or paper
- Wrap the string or dental floss around the base of the intended ring finger.
- Pull it up to the knuckle and then down. Make sure it feels snug but not too tight.
- Mark where the string ends meet with a pen or marker.
- Place it against a ruler and get the measurement in millimeters, centimeters, or inches.
- Compare your measurement against a ring size chart.
💡 Tip: Be careful with tugging on the string so you don’t make it slack and make your measurement inaccurate.
Ring Sizing Chart
Most jewelers usually have ring sizes from 3 to 13.5. For women, it typically runs from 3 to 9, while for men, it runs from 8 to 13. Here’s a size chart you can use to compare your measurement.
|Inner Circumference||Inner Diameter||Ring size|
|cm||mm||Inches||cm||mm||Inches||US & Canada|
💡 Pro-tip: Some jewelry stores have a custom sizing chart, so check their website or ask to confirm.
Frequently Asked Questions About Measuring Ring Size
What size ring is 7 cm?
Size 13 is the ring size with a circumference of 7 cm.
What is my ring size if my finger is 2.5 inches?
Your ring size is 10.5 if your finger measurement is 2.5 inches.
Is it true that your ring size is the same as your shoe size?
No, it’s not true that your ring size is the same as your shoe size. Any match will be a pure coincidence since your ring size depends on the circumference of your finger, while your shoe size depends on the length of your foot.
How do I find out my girlfriend’s ring size without asking?
You can use the string method to measure her finger’s circumference while asleep.
You can make also use a ring she already wears. Measure the ring’s inner width (diameter) using a ruler or a tape rule and compare it against a ring size chart.
How tight should your ring be?
Your ring should be tight enough that it doesn’t fall off but also loose enough that you can take it off without too much effort. It is too tight if it cannot turn clockwise or anticlockwise on your finger or leaves a clear mark.
Is it better to size a ring up or down?
It is better to size a ring up than down. It is preferable for a ring to be a bit loose than to have it too tight, which can cut off blood circulation. It is also easier to resize a larger ring than a smaller ring.
What is the average ring size for a woman?
The most popular ring size for women is size 6, although most retailers typically run size 3 to size 9.
How do you know if a ring is too loose?
A ring is too loose if it slides off your hand while moving around.
6 Key Tips for Sizing Rings Accurately
Here are some tips to help you get the perfect ring measurement:
- Measure the exact finger you intend to wear the ring since fingers can be slightly different in size per hand.
- Measure your finger three to four times to ensure accuracy.
- Consider the size of your knuckle when measuring. You can measure the width of your knuckle and base and choose a number in between or take a ring half a size bigger than your finger base measurement.
- Since the size of fingers changes during the day based on several factors, it is best to measure your finger at night when it is likely the largest.
- Wrap the string, tape rule, or ring sizer around your finger without slanting it, so you don’t have an inaccurate measurement.
- Use more than one method to confirm your ring size.
The Perfect Size
Finding the perfect ring size is vital to avoid the hassle of resizing. We’ve shown you how to measure your ring size, and you can do all these methods from the comfort of your home.
If necessary, ask someone to help you with either the tape measure method or the string method. Always note the metric you used to compare it correctly against the size chart.
Nothing beats a gorgeous ring with the perfect fit.
💎 You should know: We use affiliate links throughout our site. This means we may earn a cent or two when you make a purchase on our site. Thanks for adding to our shine.